Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Book Review + Discussion: Eleanor & Park

So today, I am going to do a book review on Eleanor & Park.  Hmmm where do I start?  Well, let me just say that this book was heartwarming, funny, honest, bittersweet, and refreshing.  It's an unpredictable love story.  This has to be one of the best books I have ever read.  Set in 1986, Eleanor & Park is about two misfits falling in love.  With her curly hair and wearing the wrong clothes all the time, Eleanor doesn't fit in.  Park, being half Korean, is an outsider as well.  Their relationship all begins on the bus ride to school, where Park offers a seat next to him to Eleanor when no one else will.  So that's basically a general summary for Eleanor & Park.  Anyways, reading this book was an emotional roller coaster.  Like this is literally the only book that actually made me have emotions while reading it.  At the funny moments, I would laugh.  At the heartbreaking moments, my heart felt like it's tearing apart.  In the happy moments, I would smile.  So yeah.  Oh, and did I mention that Rainbow Rowell is an amazing writer?  She truly is.  Overall, I give this book a 5/5 stars.  Now, on to the discussion part.


----------------------------------------------DISCUSSION : SPOILER ALERT---------------------------------------------------
Can we just talk about Eleanor's step dad for a second?  He is a b*stard I swear.  Gosh, he's the reason why Eleanor and Park can't see each other.  Park is such a sweet guy.  He protects Eleanor from the bullies, and is willing to risk getting hurt to protect her.  I felt sorry for Eleanor, since she's been through so much, ya know?  In the very end, literally the last sentence (when Park received a postcard from Eleanor that said I love you), it was so bittersweet.  I thought Rainbow Rowell ended the book perfectly.
--------------------------------------------------END OF DISCUSSION--------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, that wraps up my book review!  I hope my review helps you, and do your self a favor by reading this book.  Oh, and remember to tell me your thoughts in the comment section below! :)

1 comment :

  1. Love the review clare :) I totally agree about Eleanor's stepdad, and the things he wrote on her book covers....who the hell does that? That guy should be put down, i mean honestly, wth was Eleanor's mom thinking, marrying him?

    ReplyDelete